Rural School Consolidation: School District Names Often Contain a Hint to the Past

by James McNary, Articles Editor
This content is for subscribers only. Log in or sign up for a free trial below.

The Pennsboro School, now a community center, was constructed in the mid-1930s by the Pennsboro C-3 School District, which formed in 1917 through the consolidation of four one-room, common school districts. For whatever reason, the district continued operating the one-room schools until this four-room building was constructed. Grades first through eighth were taught by four teachers (two grades per teacher) in this building until the Pennsboro district was reorganized with Greenfield R-IV circa 1951, after which the Greenfield district continued to use the building as a rural elementary school for a few more years. (Photo by James McNary)